This became my favorite scripture when David and I were dating around 4 - 4.5 years ago. Even though our relationship was great, I was personally struggling with a lot of things in my life. I was falling in love, going through school, dating long distance and was really struggling emotionally and spiritually. I had little to no peace in my life at that time.
Life was tough and I felt so weak. I knew I was going to marry David, but we were both struggling with very personal issues that needed to be fixed before our relationship could move forward.
These were the weakest moments of both of our lives, and the only thing that made it easier was being there for one another with an abundance of support and love. These experiences were what ultimately brought David and I together. We both helped each other strengthen our testimonies and get back onto a track where we felt peace and joy in life again.
We were with each other every step of the way and strengthened one another. I know I would not be the same person today, nor would our relationship, if we did not go through these trials together.
During this time, David and I read scriptures together every night. During one scripture study session we were reading Doctrine and Covenants 121 and was struck when I read verses 7-9.
7. My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8. And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.
9. Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.
Peace immediately surrounded me. I suddenly knew that the struggles I was going through would pass and that I had become a better person than before. I had support from David along with my family and friends. I know that it was through David, God, and the amazing people in my life that I was able to overcome these challenges and have those afflictions in my life pass, being but a small moment.
I now have the knowledge and peace in my life that challenges and afflictions will pass. Even though your struggles may seem never ending, they will pass and you will eventually look back and be grateful for those experiences and adversity because those weak moments can only make you stronger.
What a great Heavenly Father we have!
No comments:
Post a Comment