Most people who know me, know that I am well... a pushover. I hate controversy and getting in people's faces. I am a people pleaser and never want to be on someone's bad side. In fact, I do almost everything in my power to stay on everyone's good side, even if they are jerks to me and don't deserve to be treated kindly.
With that said, I had to write some really controversial things this semester that really challenged me. These articles are published for the public's eye and could have the potential of really damaging lots of people's reputation. Ah, no pressure. I hated writing these articles. Everyone I interviewed was always so defensive (understandable) and always wanted to me take their side (as a journalist, you have to be objective, and even if I did or did not agree with them, I had to stay quiet). I spent the last two months being so stressed all the time and anxious because people were always so defensive.
Personally speaking though, that is exactly what I needed. Confrontation is still hard for me but I learned how to handle these situations SO much better. These experiences will help me the rest of my life, both professionally and personally.
And honestly, I'm not as bad as writing as I thought I was. I made front page on most of my articles and won an award at the end of the semester as well. Who knew?
Thank you my dear editor for giving me articles that challenged me, pushed me and helped me grow.
For those who care, here are a few of the articles I wrote this semester. Some are a lot more boring than others, get over it.
Tough changes in life can have biggest reward
Animation film gives student edge in field
Artist removes work from BYU Bookstore
Striving to be better, not bitter
Making a case for breastfeeding
Will heaven feel like home?
Honor Code Office warns BYU dancer
Bowen Hall set to be demolished
Pre-dental student assist dentists and serve locals in Tijuana, Mexico
Administrator of the year awarded posthumously
Competing with free
You are truly AMAZING!!!!
ReplyDelete